Thursday, 19 July 2012

This is rustling my jimmies - I best gets to stepping.

I'm nervous. I've purposely taken very small sips at the previous toasts, but I think the champagne is starting to go to my head a little.  As I get up from my seat I feel my legs turn to jelly, and offer a silent prayer of thanks for the lectern to rest my speech on and grip with my shaking hands, and the little table to one side to balance my flute of bubbly, safe from panicked oratory gestures. I pass the bride and groom as they take their seats, and steal a quick glance at their beaming faces at the high table.
I really hope I don't mess this up. Clearing my throat, I reach for the microphone.

"Well first of all, I think tradition asks that I say: on behalf of the bridesmaids, thank you, George. And good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I couldn't resist the opportunity, with a captive audience, to put a bad joke in my speech, so here it is. Last week I went to the wedding of two television aerials. The ceremony was nothing special, but the reception was excellent"
Thankfully, groans and laughter.
"I'd say it could only get better, but I've seen the rest of the speech.

"I have struggled to write this. Partly because George is such a great guy that there's an awful lot to say, but mostly because - despite seeing him every day for three years - I have very few embarrassing stories about him. The man has a zen like calm I have rarely seen disturbed, and while the rest of is would panic about our coursework or exams, George would - infuriatingly - finish it a fortnight early and then offer to help you with yours. Even more infuriatingly, he never took any notes in lectures, and consistently did better than you in the exams. 

"I was somewhat surprised when he announced his intention to teach primary school children, but I now genuinely don't see how he could have been anything else. With his patience, tranquillity and academic achievements, it is clear he will make an excellent teacher.

"The fact that he watches cartoons and enjoys finger painting in his spare time will help too of course.

"I do believe that George's passion for teaching began with his hobbies, however. He is always urging people to try new things: playing the harmonica, playing the guitar, live action role playing games, computer games, board games, wall climbing, kung fu - he tried to teach me kung fu in first year. I received a message telling me he wanted to practise with some kung fu fighting sticks he had made himself. I told him I wasn't going to walk all the way to his house to let him hit me with a stick.

"With typical, irrespresible, enthusiasm he replied; "That's the spirit Ed, defend yourself".

"The fighting sticks actually made appearances throughout our time at University. At the Stag Party, three of us fought George at once. 

"He broke the sticks, then broke us.

"His enthusiasm was right at home in Revelation Rock Gospel Choir, which George was a part of for three years. It has been an accepted fact of life for me that every Tuesday and Thursday night would find George in the Chaplaincy, the very picture of cool in his chunky green ear protectors. I asked a former president of Rev if he had anything to add about George's time there. He replied 'Well he was super generous with his time... but he always seemed a bit spaced out'.

"What more can I say about George? Should I mention his habit of climbing things that are not meant to be climbed or pretending to attack you mid conversation? Just to keep us on our toes, I know, George. As I said, I have struggled to write this. Partly because it is difficult to summarise a three year adventure in a pithy and entertaining manner, but mostly because part of me does not wish to accept that part of it is drawing to an end. While I remain at Warwick, George is moving to Cambridge to complete his teacher training and be with Rosie.  But despite the fact that we won't see each other every day I know that we will always remain the firmest of friends. And I know, too, that for him the most exciting adventure of all is just starting a new chapter.

George, Rosie: I wish you every blessing and happiness in the first of your many years together.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen; I would ask you to charge your glasses and raise them in a toast to the only man I have ever met who could pull off a full beard - and the only woman I know who could persuade him to shave it off.

Ladies and Gentlemen; George and Rosie Meakin."

I step back, and toast the happy couple before moving back to my seat. Halfway there, I shake hands with one of the best men I know, and count myself fortunate to number him among my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment