Sunday, 1 November 2009

Oh dear...

Well, having almost settled in at Warwick, I now have a new distratction from my work; this blog.
Usually this first post is used for telling people about the blogger in question, then moving on to amusing anecdotes from the past few days; since the only people reading this, however, will be people who already know me, I won't bother!

Yesterday I joined the Skirmish Action Society for an epic game of ZOMBIES vs HUMANS in Tocil Wood; I dread to think what we did to the wood itself, having twenty crazed teenagers racing through it probably didn't to it much good! At any rate, the game involves (as the name suggests) a number of people dressed as human survivors, and a number of people dressed as zombies (much fake blood involved here). In the second round I found myself lying down in a thicket of bracken in the darkness, looking at the moon and just listening to the inhabitants of the wood doing their thing. I'm fairly sure I disturbed a small badger or something while it was grazing earlier in the night! Anyway, it was certainly one of the mot pleasant things I've done here; listening to the creatures just getting on with life despite the galumphing zombies running around hunting for me was great.
The amount of wildlife here compared to London is incredible. Looking out my window, I can see Whitefield Coppice, home to a murder of crows, and the lake outside my front door is home to a large number of coots, moorhens, ducks, gulls, Canadian geese and even a family of swans with their cygnets just losing the last of their grey feathering. Around campus I've seen kestrels, buzzards, jays, magpies and even my first (live) hedgehog in addition to the regrettable usual rat or two...

The course is also going well. Alot of the content I've already covered in Physics or Further Maths back at A-Level, but we're starting to use a realy interesting program called solidworks to teach us 3D design. It's a real blessing for me cos it means I can piece together some of my ideas with dimensions and without having to resort to a series of dodgy sketches in the back of my Physics folder... not that those haven't made an appearence during the odd dull lecture or two. Still looking for a decent graphics editing program though, without resorting to the expense of Photoshop; all I want to do is develop some sketches from my Aesthetics of Design lectures, so I won't be shelling out two grand for them any time soon.

The other thing that's happening in my life at the moment is that I'm (finally) starting to connect a bit more with the CU here, and I'll shortly be heading off to a Christian Focus social. I'll talk about them some other time, the food starts at seven o'clock and if i don't shift it will all be gone when i get there!

Week five, here we come...

1 comment:

  1. "amount of wildlife here compared to London is incredible"

    Your joking aint you, i saw eight, yes 8 foxes on my way home last night.
    O and rats, you go to the Steyne estate behind acton nick...they just sit around on the walkways like they own the place.

    i am worried your becoming something of a bird watcher...

    look after your self mate

    ReplyDelete